Autumn is my favourite time of year - the smells, the flavours, the colours, the temperature, and the overall feeling it gives me. I prepare my home and my surroundings in the same manner that the plants and the trees do. The colours in my home become darker to match the changing leaves, the fabrics become thicker to celebrate the weather getting cooler, and my kitchen brings all the most warming flavours to life.
Here is a simple list of how this shopkeeper makes changes to celebrate the Autumn Equinox:
- Bedding colours are switched from cream and white to oranges and browns
- Blankets in my living room are changed into thick knits and dark colours
- My wardrobe is changed from summer linens to autumn wools
- My tea cupboard gets stocked up on my favourite blends: Apple Spice, Salted Caramel, and Vanilla Spice
- Vegetables on my grocery list become pumpkins, squashes, tomatoes, and carrots
- Start harvesting from my garden: drying herbs and freezing vegetables to last me through the winter
- Cook up a storm and freeze as much as I can! Chilis, soups, stews, and sauces
- Make autumn essential oil blends
- Movies I love to watch: Practical Magic, When Harry met Sally, You've Got Mail, Harry Potter, and more!
- I stock up on candles to enjoy lighting as days get shorter
- Lastly, I go for a walk to spot all the signs of autumn taking over the parks, yards, and small town :).